On April 3rd, 2021, we celebrate the 87th birthday of Dr. Jane Goodall, a woman who for over 60 years has inspired and motivated millions of people around the globe to live in greater harmony with nature and to take action on behalf of the planet we share. On this special occasion, we recognize the unique legacy of Dr. Goodall’s scientific breakthroughs and courageous leadership which have led to positive changes in policies and attitudes, benefitting animals, humankind, and global ecosystems.
Compelled by Dr. Goodall’s mission to live sustainably and with compassion, we look with new hope for a brighter, greener future. As Jane has shared, one of the most resilient and impressive forces on Earth is contained within the seeds of plant life, which can break through walls and always find a way.
Restoring and protecting green spaces is essential in our efforts to protect global biodiversity and is one of our greatest hopes in the fight to combat the Climate Crisis. That’s why Jane and JGI are part of the Trillion Tree campaign to help give our planet a new life. For Jane’s 87th birthday, in the spirit of her vision, join us in building a cross-generational movement of people who resolve to make the planet we share a better place for all through growing global forests and greening our world!
- AROUND 1.6 BILLION PEOPLE depend on forests for their livelihood, including 70 million indigenous people.
- Between 2010 and 2015, THE WORLD LOST 3.3 MILLION hectares of forest areas. Poor rural women are especially affected by their depletion.
- Forests are home to MORE THAN 80% of all terrestrial species of animals, plants and insects.
GO GREEN WITH JGI
Today, in honor of Jane’s birthday and Earth Month, you can be a force of nature by joining JGI in our efforts to grow green! Join the #JanesGreenHope campaign to plant the seed of Jane’s dream for a greener world and help it bloom for generations to come. Visit the Jane’s Green Hope landing page for a full list of ways to plug into this one-of-a-kind campaign. It includes:
- The Jane’s Green Hope Pledge: Pledge to join #JanesGreenHope by planting, restoring, and protecting trees and forests locally, and greening your community!
- JGI’s How to Responsibly Go Green Guide: Want to get started but aren’t sure how to begin? Check out JGI’s guide to responsibly greening your community with more background, information about JGI’s work, and the step-by-step instructions on how to make #JanesGreenHope a reality.
- Reporting Tool: You help put hope on the map. Now, as a part of #JanesGreenHope, we can show the power of individual action turned into collective movement! Once you’ve pledged and taken action, make sure to complete this survey to map your positive contributions. This map will be shared with Jane and the world to grow hope by growing green.
SUPPORT JANE’S VISION TO CREATE A BETTER, GREENER WORLD
Every single day, JGI’s work is transforming our world by turning hope into action. By supporting the work of JGI in honor of Jane’s birthday, you’ll help contribute to incredible programs. At JGI, community-led conservation, collaborative forest program partnerships, and global awareness and action engagement campaigns are growing a greener world.
This includes training local forest monitors to survey forest reserves and protect against habitat loss, community-led land-use planning involving the earmarking and protection of forest reserves and supporting sustainable livelihoods to reduce encroachment on native forests. It also includes expansive partnerships resulting in millions of native tree plantings, regeneration and restoration, as well as the native tree planting and green space advancements made by the young members of our Roots & Shoots program globally.
You can also support the efforts of our partners who are specifically focused on advancing our shared initiatives below.
The Jane Goodall Institute is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall. By protecting chimpanzees and inspiring people to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals and the environment. Everything is connected—everyone can make a difference.