For nearly 50 years, Dr. Goodall has had a vision to create a better world for all. Integral to this vision is the idea that every individual has a role to play and is important – both human and nonhuman animals alike. That is why Jane founded Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center in the Republic of the Congo nearly 30 years ago. For decades, the sanctuary has served as a safe haven for second chances and works to end the drivers of illegal trade which steals thousands of individual great apes from the wild. Now, the stories of the incredible rescued chimpanzees of Tchimpounga and their caregivers will finally be told.
We are thrilled to announce that ‘Rescued Chimpanzees of the Congo with Jane Goodall ‘(working title), will be coming to CuriosityStream, the leading global factual streaming service and media company, Summer 2021! The five-part series plus one-hour special is executive produced by CuriosityStream and the award-winning Off The Fence Productions in conjunction with the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI).
The Rescued Chimpanzees of the Congo 5×60 series and accompanying 1-hour special are filmed in a combination of 4K Ultra HD and HD plus historical archive and will feature:
- Unprecedented access into the daily life and work of JGI’s Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center;
- Interviews with and never-before-seen archival footage of Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE, founder of the Jane Goodall Institute & UN Messenger of Peace as well as her expert staff including the primatologists, scientists and caregivers who dedicate their lives to understanding and protecting these fascinating creatures;
- More than 10 years of untold stories, revealing rare and intimate insight into the heart-warming journeys of rescued wild chimps as they receive a second chance, return to health, and find their new home and forever family at Tchimpounga.
“It’s compelling viewing with all the hallmarks of an epic CuriosityStream series — emotional, inspiring, educational, and ultimately, uplifting. Working with the Jane Goodall Institute to bring this series to the screen has been an absolute passion-project for everyone involved. Just like Tchimpounga itself, this series is truly unique.”
Andrew Zikking, Creative Director for Off the Fence
Examples of some of the figures and characters appearing in the series include:
- Chimpanzees like Wounda, known around the world after her release on Tchimpounga’s island sanctuary and her embrace with Dr. Goodall went viral;
- Dr. Goodall herself discussing her experiences in founding Tchimpounga as an early impact of her chimpanzee welfare activism;
- Dr. Rebeca Atencia‘s critical work to provide care to Tchimpounga’s chimpanzees and other wildlife and manage all of JGI’s work in Congo; and
- The caregiving staff of Tchimpounga and other researchers, many of whom are from Republic of the Congo themselves.
For the first time ever, these stories and several others will be told in full in the series.
“The behind the scenes access to Dr. Goodall’s teams trailblazing work at Tchimpounga combined with the insightful, emotional stories told in every episode will keep our viewers coming back for more. We’re thrilled to deliver unique perspectives and groundbreaking content, and we’re proud to collaborate with our longtime partners at Off the Fence to bring this series to CuriosityStream.”
Rob Burk, Head of Original Content for CuriosityStream
To support the care and work of Tchimpounga Chimpanzee Rehabilitation Center, become (or gift!) a Chimpanzee Guardian today.
The Jane Goodall Institute is a global community conservation organization that advances the vision and work of Dr. Jane Goodall. By protecting chimpanzees and inspiring people to conserve the natural world we all share, we improve the lives of people, animals and the environment. Everything is connected—everyone can make a difference.