I am… a scientist, an explorer, a hockey fan, a dog-lover, a sister, an intern, a student, and a teacher. I am Sam Asper. I am ordinary and I can change the world.
Because ordinary people DO change the world. Jane Goodall is an ordinary person who does extraordinary things. From her first venture into the forest to study chimpanzees, to creating the Jane Goodall Institute, Dr. Jane has been a champion of research and conservation. And there’s more. As a UN Messenger of Peace, she advocates for peace between all animals and the environment we share. When she started the global Roots & Shoots program in 1991, her message of hope became a battle cry for a new generation of “ordinary” kids to change the world. Today, April 3, Dr. Jane celebrates an extraordinary day…her 83rd birthday!
To celebrate Dr. Jane’s special day, we would like to give the gift of inspiration by reminding those around us that we all have the power to make a difference every day…just like Dr. Jane. You can help us put together our Roots & Shoots gift of 83 readings of Brad Meltzer’s I am Jane Goodall in honor of #83yearsofJane. All you have to do is read the book and share Dr. Jane’s story with someone in your life.
I am Jane Goodall brilliantly captures how Dr. Jane was once an ordinary child, with an active imagination that sparked her to change the world. What better way to honor Dr. Jane’s life than to read about her story and be inspired to create one of our own.
Some people are surprised to find that I have a great sense of humor. I can be silly, you know. I’m a totally ordinary human.” – Dr. Jane Goodall
Read All About It!
To get in on our collective birthday gift to Dr. Jane, start by signing her birthday card. Then, get ready for your reading.
You’ll need to gather your supplies: the book! You can purchase I am Jane Goodall at the Jane Goodall Institute’s online shop and it’s even available as an e-book. Or, swing by your school or local library for a copy.
Next, host your reading. As you read, remember that you are inspiring someone — you’re sharing a magical message that ordinary people can help our world. Here’s where you might read:
- Read to your class or another class (maybe some younger students)
- Read to youth at your local library, community center
- Read to your family: brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents…get everyone together
- Read to your dog, cat, or whatever awesome creature you share your home with
- Read aloud to the flowers, the trees…all of nature. After all, Dr. Jane sparked a movement to protect the natural world.
Share Your Gift
Have someone snap a picture or video of you reading the book to your “audience.”
- Upload your picture here and tell us about your reading!
- Share your picture or video on social media using #83yearsofJane. Let’s see how much fun we can have celebrating Dr. Jane’s passion and hard-work for the past 83 years. Click here to post the tweet you see below.
Check out how members of the Roots & Shoots U.S. National Youth Leadership Council shared Jane’s inspiration by reading her story:
Wherever you are and whoever you read to, remember that YOU can change the world.
Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference.” – Dr. Jane Goodall